Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Obligatory Apology Post

This is the blog post I never planned to write...

Today I was overwhelmed with inspiration to let the words flow and hit "publish" with a glorious grin on my face after what seemed like a little, teensy hiatus, if you will. And then, I signed into my account and realized the horrific truth: my last blog post was over six months ago.

So now this is the part where I write the obligatory sorry-I-couldn't-write-I-was-backpacking-through-Europe-volunteering-at-food-banks-and-deworming-orphans-in Somolia post. Anyone get that Legally Blonde reference, or am I the only one who has watched that movie 94 times?

But the real truth is: I was a miserable mess. I admit, I have signed into my blog over the past 6 months. I even have several drafts just hanging out, but I could never finish them or hit the button to send them out into the world. And why is that? Because just about everything I started to write took a drastic turn to Negativeville, a land no one wants to visit, and will certainly never hitch a ride to willingly.

Looking back, I must say I am thrilled with my ability to hold back on the posts and realize even though I really wanted to continue writing to show my committment, the fact that I was having trouble pulling myself out of the black hole of discontent was not going to help anyone, nor encourage return readers.

And, why you might ask was I a miserable mess? Well, the worst part is I feel like I don't have a full, legitimate reason for the unhappiness. Although I certainly did have very valid reasons, and I quite understand that most of them had to do with not feeling fulfilled in my career, the specific reasons are far too involved, convoluted, and just plain not worth it to get into here. Sounds so...dramatic and existential, huh?

But, now, I am fulfilled, over-the-asteroid-belt happy, challenged, motivated, ambitious, fun-loving, joyful and feel like I'm tap dancing on a rainbow after winning the lottery whilst surrounded by Labrador Retriever puppies in a pub in Ireland. In other words, I feel like myself again.

It all boils down to a comment I received on my last post all those six months ago...The post was entitled, the oh-so-high-browed title of "I just want to work out of a coffee shop for f#%ks sake!" One reader, and fellow writer, asked the simple question, "What are you waiting for? Go!"

After that, I put my head down and forged ahead to make my dreams a reality. Some days were harder than others, sometimes it seemed overwhelmingly daunting, but finally opportunity has met my preparation and the two became fast friends. I am proud to say that now I am officially on the path I have dreamed of often - running my own business and exploring the many facets of life that intrigue me - to finally, and fully, Live 1000 Lives.

For the first time in my life I can honestly say I am ready and willing to enjoy every step of the journey because the path I'm on now is the right one for me.

Cheers to you, Reader, and here's hoping you're liking the view on your path as well.

1 comment:

  1. I saw your comment about my comment and thought I'd comment on your comment abo...oh forget trying to explain it all. >.<

    I'm so glad you're getting out there and following your dream! I too, just recently decided to try my hand at following my dream instead of just lazily letting life slide by. Perhaps we can keep each other honest about following goals. ^^

    So great to hear from you, and thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete