Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Start to my Empire has not been with a Bang, but a Sniffle.

Marie Killen/Getty Images
On February 16, 2011 at 6:15pm EST, I drove away from my place of full-time employment blasting Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again." Shall I remind you of the lyrics? No problem.

Here I go again on my own
Going down the only road I've ever known
Like a drifter I was born to walk alone
And I've made up my mind
I ain't wastin' no more time
[Insert 80's Hair Band Scream]



That's right. Because as of February 17th, I officially embarked on beginning my own business and being my own boss. It was certainly a magical moment. Sometimes it feels like it happened fast, other times when I really reflect on the process, I realize that close to a year of moonlighting, prepping, researching, planning, strategizing and work-filled weekends went into this grand moment. And that made it all the more special. As much as I wanted to jump right in immediately, I instead did the pre-planning that will sustain me for longer, and lead to a more successful endeavor.

While I did a good deal of planning, there is still a lot to do. I knew it was time to fully immerse myself in my business when I legitimately was running out of time in the week. I did a lot of work on the weekends for larger projects and a bit of work most mornings and some evenings. And that, was just for one client. To actually focus on myself, I just didn't have the time to work on everything in the way I wanted.

I was all ready to take the weekend off and jump right into taking care of business when, despite all of my enthusiasm and eagerness to check-off items on my to-do list, I was hit with the flu. The kind of flu where you wake up and open your eyes, but then after 15 minutes of keeping your eyes open, you fall back to sleep because you are so exhausted from blinking.

So alas, my business has not started with a bang, but a sniffle. But at least I've taken care of item one on my list: signing up for my own personally- sponsored health insurance. Sweet irony.

Next up on the list? Creating an LLC and an accounting department of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment